Early birds

This spring has been a very pleasant and warm surprise. With the warm weather, I suspected some migrations would also start a little earlier. I checked my photo files from this time last year and saw that I was photographing a Beaver family on the ice in the Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge. It was cold as I recalled and the backwaters and marshes were still pretty much frozen over.

This past weekend I got over to the refuge on both Saturday and Sunday morning and had a great time photographing a variety of wildlife. The ice was gone and the temperature was pleasant. I observed a variety of ducks, Canadian Geese, Robins all over the place, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Juncos, Great Blue Herons, Sandhill Cranes, turtles, snakes and a Turkey. There were also several Bald Eagles, a couple of hawks and many frogs croaking away in the marsh. I posted some of my photos from the weeknd photo sessions below.

I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed photographing them.  Please feel free to share this blog on facebook or other sites if you feel so moved.

As always, just contact me if you are interested in acquiring a print of any of the images.

These images are best if viewed larger. Just click on the image to enlarge it.

A colorful Wood Duck
A pair of Sandhill Cranes woke up the marsh inhabitants with
their shrill trumpeting call.
A view of the marsh just after sunrise on Saturday

The Willows were budding

A Great Blue Heron floating towards the morning sun

A Sandhill Crane facing into the morning sun.
A Sandhill Crane flying through the marsh.



Comments

Popular Posts