Summer at Crex Meadows 2014

Last week I made a trip to the Crex Meadows Wildlife Area in search of the unique and cute Pied-billed Grebe chicks.  I was fortunate enough to find several families of them and was also able to take my time and observe them. I have posted some of my images from that trip below and hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I did use some photo art techniques on a couple of the images.

Mystery writer Marjorie Doering and her husband Denny met me for lunch at Turtle Lake on my way to Crex Meadows and Marjorie announced that she has a new novel coming out later this summer or early fall. I will try to post the book announcement on my Facebook page when that happens.

I also wanted to let you all know that I got my new website up and running. It is an HTML5 site that is supposed to work better on devices such as smart phones and Ipads. Please check it out and let me know if you have any problems with the site.

 Click here to view muddyriverphotography.com

Later this coming winter, I am scheduled for a photo exhibit at a local prestigious institution in Winona. I have not decided on the theme for the exhibit yet so I will be working on several ideas having to do with photo art and conceptual portraiture. There are a couple of examples on my website. I am currently looking for several volunteers to be the subjects of some of the exhibit images. I am looking for artists, artisans, performers or other creative people that I could collaborate with on conceptual ideas that would include their work or the creation of their work in the images. There is no charge for the sittings and any exhibit images would be used only after approval by the subjects pictured.

This will be an ongoing process for the next couple of months. If you are interested in taking part in my project, please contact me for additional information. This will be a fun project utilizing location photography and or studio work.

Please remember to click on the images to enlarge them for more detail.

The meadows were lush with vegetation as shown in this early morning shot. 

Young ducks were around and flexing their wings.

The young Grebe chicks are hard to spot in the Lili pads.

An older chick eyes up a large lunch.

Sandhill Cranes feeding in the north refuge area.

Yellow-headed Blackbird feeding in the Lili pads.

Young chicks urging the adult to get some more minnows.

Success!


The Hilton was quiet on this trip.


The Loons were scarce on this visit but I did find this one
early in the morning.

Family swim while waiting for the adults to bring some food.

"Big Stretch" Enjoying himself while waiting for another minnow.

This lucky chick just received a small Crawfish.

Not sure why, but they do like showing off their large feet!

Cormorant

Comments

  1. I don’t think you have to feel guilty about not noticing your old car. It might have served you several years already, but you also have to adjust to your new car. And it will still be of use to someone else, so that's a good thing right there. All the best!

    Mamie Patrick @ Focused Local Marketing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts